Thursday 26 March 2015

Week 11: Why didn't I do it better?

Not completely sure what to do this post about with the character project done so I’ll just reflect and show off the other character stuff I've been up to.

I’m not very happy with the way my character turned out. I don’t really think I spend long enough on the texturing and I am kind of regretting only using a 1024x1024 texture sheet, some extra details and better res texture would have been nice.

I could have also done with a kind of recap on rigging as being able to pose my character would have been a nice touch. Alas. I definitely learnt a lot about modelling with this project, especially on more practical and cleaner ways of low poly modelling.

Time management is probably where I fail the most, I am so bad at motivating myself to start something I don’t want to do (Especially with blogs.).

 I always tell myself “Yeah do your blog in a bit, just do some more drawing first” or the classic “You just need a coffee, go get a coffee first.” The reason I feel that I often under perform on the 3D side of the course is because of putting drawing and 2D stuff before 3D, whatever the 2D is.

I know it’s bad but my favourite way to spend my time is staying up until 5am or 6am painting and drawing, (working on stuff unrelated to the course.) I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to change that though its just too fun.

Anyway, I decided to do some more work on the character project in my spare time this week, working on some concepts for environments/in game mock-ups.




3D Paint overs like these are a great way to churn out concepts for environments with tricky perspective elements present in them. I didn't actually use 3D for the sand one which lead to loads of trouble along the way. 

(Actually I did use 3D for that one but only a small render of the character to have him the same proportions as the other image.)


Haven’t finished these quick ideas for the skeleton enemies yet but I will throw them in too. See this is what I mean I’m not going to get graded for this stuff but I spend way more time on it than my actual coursework. 

There is another image I did of some of his abilities but I can't find it. 
(Down to poor file organisation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment