Sunday 15 March 2015

Week 4: Film Project is over

We finished everything. EVERYTHING! I haven't been this happy in so long. This project has been a learning experience, and quite a painful one at that. From having to re-do assets 2-3 times, to getting to grips with Unreal Engine, we've been busy lets just put it like that.

Well here is the final beauty render in engine, I think you will notice the fine modelling and texturing skills displayed by the Statue in the background. Believe it or not that actually took me over a day to model.


I have to thank Stuart for the huge amount of time he spent on the lighting for this final shot. I can't say I was much use as I am a complete beginner to Unreal 4. I have watched tutorials on the basics, importing assets and setting up some simple lights in a scene, but he really pulled it out of the bag for this.

Seeing as there was no tri-count or texture budget, we kind of went overboard, even the papers on the table had a 1024x1024. It was over kill, but the end result looks great and I think it all paid off in the end.


And here is it, the nightmare asset from hell. I wanted to call it quits after the first attempt resulted in an inaccurate swirly mess of geometry. I learnt so much about modelling from this asset alone, more so than the other simpler assets I worked on during the project. 

I suppose the struggle is part of the 'fun'. If it takes 10 times to make an asset, you'll probably learn 10 times as much than if you just lucked out and got it right first time.

Anyway I never want to look at that room from Xmen again, I haven't even seen the film, and now, thanks to this project, I will make an effort not to.

I think the turret project is next, which sounds cool! Looking forward to working on my own project for a while, hopefully it will be as fun as it sounds!  

No comments:

Post a Comment