Monday 16 March 2015

Week 5: Sentry Gun

We were set the sentry gun brief this week, I'm definitely excited to start as I have been wanting to do a more concept heavy brief for a while now. With my personal work I don't usually draw many hard surface things, so a turret is somewhat out of my comfort zone, however, I think I can learn a lot from tackling something im not used to doing.


sooooooooooo coooooooooooool
I have been looking at producing a more stylized design for the turret, looking a lot at team fortress 2's art direction and concept art. I think that it is a prime example of how concept art can be used to make a truly unique game.

Strong shapes are what we were told to focus on when thinking about the silhouette for our turret. The sketches below are some of my ideas so far. Im thinking possibly a designer turret for a stylish home defence mechanism, or a discreet sentry gun that can double up as a coffee table. 



fun so far, gotta do more though

I have also started some whiteboxing of my turret to help me get a good idea of how the final thing will look, I will post that in next week's blog when it is finished though. Keeping it blocky at the moment. I can't say im looking forward to putting the turret in engine as I have still had hardly any experience using it so I really dont know how im going to make something move, let alone look any good, but I will probably just cry and do it in the last 10 minutes before the hand in.

I have had some time to play a weird game on my friend's dreamcast called 'Pen Pen'. It is kind of like mario kart on acid but still a lot of fun, here is a picture of some of the characters. 



No comments:

Post a Comment