Sunday 15 March 2015

Week 2: Film Room Project


With the asset swap project out of the way we were assigned a new project on Monday, with the bone chilling task of: ‘Choose a still from a movie and recreate this as accurately as possible within your group.’

Apart from last week, this is the first time I have worked in a group for a project like this, and I have only just learnt the basics of PBR so I can’t say I’m looking forward to the next few weeks.

We were looking at Balin’s tomb from Lord of the Rings for our room, it is made out of fairly simple geometric shapes and has lots of fun assets in it, like damaged walls, lots of debris, weapons ect


Lord of the Rings is also one of my childhood favourites, so the prospect of working on recreating this iconic scene for the next few weeks was very exciting.

We had a review however, and we were told it was too typical, which is rather true. Finding a smaller room with more interesting lighting became our next objective, and we decided to go with the submarine room from Xmen.

I know I am going to be so sick of looking at this room...

I think the lighting will look really good in Unreal 4, but we may struggle with some of the more complicated shapes. I wasn’t completely happy with the choice to be honest. 

Xmen (Or most modern super hero movies come to think of it) isn’t a film that stands out for it’s amazing art direction but I didn’t say anything as we really had to get started with the work. Not really too sure how I feel about having to mindlessly copy a scene piece by piece, no idea what the learning objective is but hey, I suppose its just practice with PBR.

Scared and cold is how I feel at the moment, especially because our boiler keeps breaking.
By Friday, we had assigned ourselves roles and were working on modelling our assets, we did a white box of the room to establish the scale of the area were working in. 

Pretty ugly at the moment...


No comments:

Post a Comment