Saturday 11 April 2015

21: Is this really work?

I am having so much fun with this project, once again Mike and Craig's feedback has spurred me on to push new ideas and concepts. I really want to make work thats fun and original, which means staying away from concept art cliches.

The work you make is influenced by the work you consume. I have really noticed the effects of this, so I have been trying to regularly study master paintings and increase the amount of good art I see. So heres some studies I made recently:


This is  a study from a sculpture, I really love studying from these instead of people, there is so much subtlety in sculptures that's harder to see with a live subject.


Thumbnail studies after Craig Mullins, I did these as a warm up before working on my own stuff, it opens your eyes a lot by studying good work like this.




This was of an action figure from life, just a fun exercise really.

Anyay, I have been working super hard on OTM this week as well as those studies, following the feedback from Craig and Mike, heres what I produced this week: 


Weapon/gear ideas, (inspired by the last of us concept art book I got for Christmas.)


More environment development



Weapons


Card Soldiers

We discussed that the art I have produced so far lends itself well to an isometric, semi birds eye view game. (Dungeon Crawler, basically like Diablo.) This means plenty of level designs, NPC characters and Boss characters! So cool.

Comparing my blog posts from a few weeks ago to the ones I'm writing at the moment, I think ive gotten happier. I'm definitely finding this work more engaging and more worthwhile. Who wants to be endlessly tweaking the topology of a bin when you could be concepting mushroom armour?

(Just a quick note, I keep loosing track of all the work I'm doing, so if you want to see ALL the work Iv'e done for OTM, check out the tumblr I posted a link to last week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment