Saturday 11 April 2015

Week 20: Getting stuck in.

I had my first feedback with Mike and Craig earlier this week, I showed them the work I had done so far, (I'll post that below) They realised I want to peruse concept art as a career instead of 3D artist or environment artist.

Their feedback was so useful, I really felt like I was being treated like an adult and not a kid drawing stupid monsters. They had some fantastic ideas on how to advance my work and make it all gel together as a body of work for one theme, instead of lots of disjointed sketches and paintings.

As i'm working on my own they suggested that instead of a small 3D level that I instead create all the concept art for a game, as a real portfolio builder and a chance to create a large body of work over a long period of time.


Oh baby.

I didn't think I would get the chance to really specialize like this in this course until the third year, but Christmas came early! Its so exciting but at the same time pretty scary seeing as if I mess up or dont meet requirements for the weekly work load then the only person to blame is me.

I took a scatter gun approach this week, I just wanted to make art without focussing on just environments, just props ect.


Alice Concept. (With teacup armour.)

The idea here is to have some different armour sets that match and are suited to her environment, i.e: a mushroom forest armour and underground armour for the rabbit hole.


Prop ideas.


Caterpillar concept (Quite early though this one might need more development.)


Cheshire Cat.

I used a really efficient workflow for these concepts that involved photobashing and using colour balance layers like crazy, I might do a more in depth breakdown of some of the concepts next post.


I kind of broke away from the theme that I developed with the rabbits, eperimenting with a more absurd and as mike put it 'perverse' style.

Oh yeah I will be posting all the hi res concept art for this project on this sleek looking tumblr: http://joehurleywonderland.tumblr.com/

Thanks for reading! Lots more concept art to come in the following weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment